Sunday 3 May 2020

Chitty, chitty, bang, bang.

When I was at school, my teacher read us a story about a magical car called Chitty-chitty-bang-bang. The book (published 1964) was by Ian Fleming (who also wrote the James Bond books) and it was soon made into a musical film (1968) starring Dick van Dyke; as a little boy I loved the songs, particularly 'You Two' ("Someone to care for, to be there for; I have you two ... Could be we three get along so famously, 'cause you two have me and I have you two too.") and Hushabye Mountain. 

The book was inspired by a real racing car and this building in Canterbury is where it was built!
"Count Louis Zborowski, who lived at Higham Park at Bridge, was a well-known engineer and racing driver who built the Chitty Bang Bang cars in his workshop at 16 St Radigund’s Street, Canterbury, in the early 1920s. He died in a crash in the Italian GP in 1923." (Kent Online 14/9/2009)



No comments:

Post a Comment